Saturday, July 17, 2010

Special meddle (1)

As with all my guitars, I make it a point to serve my needs & address my quirks. The instrument should be a personal reflection of the player & it should be set up & tweaked to the owner's specs. The Fender American Special received its initial tweaks today- nothing excessive though...

As I won't be going whammy wild with this guitar, 2 additional springs were installed at the rear cavity to make sure the bridge stays put when string bending are in action. The screws are then tightened accordingly. How much tightening should you employ? Tighten until the bridge doesn't move when you bend those strings.

Since Davis GMC has some Fender spares in store...

...the default bolt plate was replaced with the Fender 'F' engraved version.

6 comments:

idl3mind said...

that fender neck joint plate upgrade is a nice touch. I'm totally about to try the 5-spring thing in my strat

subversion.sg said...

those additional springs in there aren't fashionable but necessary for me :-) this is what i do to whammy-able guitars if i decide they are not gonna be played that way.

there's also a popular myth of sorts saying those springs add more sustain to the average Strat but it's definitely unfounded.

idl3mind said...

I don;t whammy much, if at all, on my strat. my rg770 is for whammy.

subversion.sg said...

even for my whammy-able Ibanez guitars, i don't do much. often play without the whammy bar inserted but have no urge to block the bridge, just love the feel i guess :-)

reuel said...

hmmm i thought dive only units would have the other strings stay in tune when u bend a string o.O

subversion.sg said...

that's not the case when the bridge floats, which was my reference :-)