Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Remembering Stevie

It's the final day of August, the year will see its final quarter unfold. To those of us who were shackled by dread, the year end's coming might spark some delight in view of the festive season to come as well as some bonus remuneration for many of us.

August also saw the passing of a legend back in 1990, whose embrace of the guitar commanded sheer respect. Stevie Ray Vaughan wasn't even on my list of guitar idols when he was alive but his passing manifested availability- suddenly, SRV's music was everywhere & it beckoned my listening. Being an Ibanez nut back then (still am), I simply had not time for people who played some other guitar, especially one with a repulsive headstock design (I couldn't stand the Strat headstock- awful!). But the coming of age taught me the instrument was about music. Being tools, some instruments are more appropriate for the job than others. SRV played Strats because that's the most suitable instrument for his music, it shouldn't be an issue. 

My first SRV exposure was the Vaughan Brothers' Family Style- there's blues beyond Eric Clapton, this I learned. I was rather averse to this music genre previously, but with Family Style, it's total embrace. This was one of the very few cassette tape releases I played to death- literally. The constant playing & flipping wore the cassette film down, it crumpled at the edges & finally got caught in the player's reels- the perfect opportunity for me to purchase a CD version of it. Of course, I worked backwards with the SRV catalogue, soon, In Step, Soul to Soul, Couldn't Stand the Weather & Texas Flood became religious listening for me.

Over time, my yearning to actually see SRV play became more intense. I recall a local record store here having a year end clearance sale, I acquired the Live at the El Mocambo DVD for cheap: SGD18.00... Ladies & gentleman, your embrace of all things SRV isn't complete without seeing him play & his guitar treatment in this release isn't for the faint hearted- you'd then understand why his Strat body became semi-stripped after all those years.

Goodbye August.

RIP: Stephen Ray Vaughan (1954 - 1990)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best SRV's album is Texas Flood. You've got to try it bro. In fact I feel it's worth to own all his studio album (there's only 4 btw).

subversion.sg said...

em... Texas Flood was listed above with the rest... :-)

Stanarchy said...

SRV's the man, no doubt!

Godsmen said...

His not only the man......

He re-written history of playing the guitar.... At least IMO. :-)