Sunday, August 1, 2010

Mustang's return

It's August & my (Fender) Mustang bass is back from an electronics make-over. I see this as a consolation in seeing through a sluggish July. The original volume & tone pots decayed beyond salvation & the input jack crackled with constant loss of signal so everything went into the trash bin. This is also the first time I am not using Gotoh pots, Beez has an alternative brand called Prolink (Korea) in store & I had the 250K pots in there. These units feel smooth & responsive in use so its down to performance durability which would be proven over time.

Despite sporting a shorter scale length, the Mustang taunts me with its vintage-thin frets. I get frustrated doing fast runs because I play clean & light touches are not helping me in any way. My (Fender) ST-72 is also equipped with thin frets by default but I have overdrive to see me through when I play guitar unlike the bass. I somehow believe the bass should be played clean so it won't interfere with the guitar's frequencies.

10 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

btw, how many basses do u have bro?

subversion.sg said...

only 1... :-) can't come to terms with the long scale. can play but not as proficient as guitar playing.

Anonymous said...

where do you work at ?

subversion.sg said...

somewhere in the dark recesses of the country, where everything else is excess but the living & breathing of guitar is highlight. hiss... hiss.. growl...

Anonymous said...

wa so chim. i want to go see what do you do. so many guitars so much knowledge omgg.

subversion.sg said...

nothing special... eat, breathe, buy guitars :-)

Anonymous said...

teach me guitar stuff leh :(

subversion.sg said...

not competent to teach... sharing knowledge would be preferred.

Ijau D. Koceng said...

this mustang, is it 30" scale?

subversion.sg said...

yes, sir! 30"... :-)