Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Meltdown

I'm digging into my collection & re-listening to some of the stuff which weren't in the limelight during their time. Vinnie Moore's Meltdown was deemed as a yawn when it was released (Guitar World gave it a 2.5 out of a maximum of 4 stars) but I consider it to be different. We hear more of Moore (no pun intended) playing some very controlled phrasing but some of the passages in there were lightning fast just that they weren't staple with the release. It was also the year Vinnie Moore stepped out of the Ibanez camp. My cousin stopped listening to him simply because of that... *duh* It was also a 'wrong' release in its time- the '90s was all about grunge & anti-technicalities, maybe that explained why the guitars here sounded restrained.

But it's one of the most enjoyable offerings by the Vin man. OK, at least in my books...

No comments: