Sunday, October 3, 2010

Graphtech: Ferra glides

Since I'm at it, I might as well replace the bridge saddles of my Fender ST-72. I've had the Graphtech graphite saddles in two of my other guitars so it's time to try something different but I'm sticking to the Graptech brand name. This time, it's a set of Ferra Glides.


The Ferra Glides saddles feature a graphite insert between each individual saddle's action adjustment area (those small screws you see at the pickup end of the component). This would prevent string breakage & better response to tuning adjustments as claimed by the manufacturer. It would also mean each saddle weighs less than an average steel unit so there's an impact on tone while retaining the steel's brightness. However, I have not re-strung this guitar. Yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are small gaps between the saddles (side-to-side), you sure you got the right size? The gaps will make the saddles shift when you attack the strings. The "vintage" model may be the better fit. ~1mb

subversion.sg said...

as this is not the first time i am replacing bridge saddles on my guitars, i am aware of the saddle spacing which would be a major concern if i whammy- that's when the saddles would move. i don't whammy so this concern isn't applicable here. despite thrashing my strings when playing a certain music genre, i don't experience saddle shifts maybe because i'm not using thick-gauged strings.

Anonymous said...

I see. Anyway, should you decide to change, these saddles are suitable for the ibanez fixed bridge, eg RG321, which has a closer spacing. That will be a good fit. =) ~1mb