Monday, November 8, 2010

The booster

I got this VOX Distortion Booster (V830) way back when I was still plugging into my Marshall DSL401. It's a mild distortion pedal with great boosting potential but the tone by default, was rather rich in the middle frequency. Back then, I don't own any single coil equipped guitars so realizing the V830's true capacity wasn't on my agenda of smoldering everyone's eardrums with excessive distortion, I thought the (BOSS) Metal Zone was an end-all reference when it comes to hard distortion. Ironically, if I knew how to pair it up with the 401's on-board drive, I'd have some variety in my tone options. The V830 inevitably suffered the buy-&-forget syndrome; it got chucked away with my DODs only to be revisited recently when I was doing some spring cleaning. Considering the current selections today, the V830 would find it difficult to out-perform some of the more dynamic distortion units out there.

2 comments:

Marcus said...

Hey i am quite interested in this pedal , have you tried the marshall shredmaster? i once heard the both sounded similar.

subversion.sg said...

Hi bro :-)

The Shredmaster- nope... never tried it. If it's similar to this VOX (which I doubt) then it's only a weak distortion...