Saturday, October 1, 2011

Incompatibility issue (Schecter - D'Addario)

The objective of this post is not to demean brand names for any incompatibility issues. Manufacturers do not conceive their products to be compatible with others'... Anyway, the pic above shows the Schecter Omen 8. Please note the image you see above, I am highlighting the thickest string in the line-up. Portion A is thinner than Portion B so that it helps the string to go through the machine head hole without issues. This was the default string set, fitted back at the factory.

I bought 2 packs of D'Addario EXL 140-8 to restring both my Schecters.

It turned out that the thicker portion (Portion B) of the .074 string could not go through. Should I be content with just winding the excess portion, I'd be dealing with so much string material that it makes me look very stupid because the ATX sports a set of locking tuners, I hardly need a round's worth of excess string there.

So I thought maybe the holes in the locking units are smaller but it was the same frustration with the Omen 8's non-locking ones- it just wouldn't go through. The pic you see above was after I snipped off the thinner bits, I attempted to compress a little bit of the thicker portion in the hope that a sizable length would go through & I would be able to force-pull the remainder from the other side but it was a futile attempt.

So ladies & gentlemen, if you are hoping to get the EXL 140-8 for your Schecters, I would advise you NOT to do so.

7 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

bummer~

subversion.sg said...

Bummer x2 bro, I bought 2 packs...

Ijau D. Koceng said...

i guess installing the bass machinehead would be a radical solution...

subversion.sg said...

There might be fitting issues, bro... Reverting to the Schecter brand strings.

Ijau D. Koceng said...

how about ur other 8-stringer? namely ibanez

subversion.sg said...

Not using .074 for ibanez, so no issues :-)

john said...

ahh, had same experience bro. I try to use a 75 string gauge for my ibanez 7th string but it couldn't fit well..