Sunday, October 30, 2011

Worthy quote: John Scofield

John Scofield said this about his guitar in a recent magazine interview:

Well, I played the same old guitar I've always had. I keep buying new guitars but I never actually use them. I play them in my basement. I use this 1981 Ibanez AS200.

The pickups are still stock, I am scared to change them. There might be much better pickups in the world, but I like these. They are loud as shit. 

How many of us can actually come forth to say the same; that they actually like their default, no-name pickups? Are we obliged to swap away our default pickups just because our peers are doing it? Or for that matter- your HERO is doing it?

6 comments:

Dr. Bentara said...

Me... still got the Gibson Explorer 98 stock pickups intact. No intention to change it yet.

Ijau D. Koceng said...

stock INF3/INFS3/INF4 combo on lower tier RGs was not bad too...

subversion.sg said...

i've made it a point to let the default pickups in some of my guitars be, simply because they sound good with the amps i own. don't fix something that's not broken- we can all learn from this :-)

Ijau D. Koceng said...

other than that smash and m-53, can u list-down (or make a new entry) the guitars which still sport their stock pickups?

YusTech said...

its not about the pickup.its about what you or i like.
nuf said.

subversion.sg said...

it's never enough when it comes to tone. there should be education on the appreciation of what we like & knowing what limits our tone so that we don't keep whining there aren't means to a great tonal end.