Monday, October 3, 2011

The powder solution

I removed the neck of my Jackson's DK2T yesterday & in the process of doing so, I felt the tight grip exerted by the body pocket on the neck itself. To me, this is a good sign, it is proof that Jackson did well in ensuring a tight grip there so that no neck movements would undermine tuning issues during play. Take a look at some Fender neck pockets (especially the '70s model) & note the atrocious gaps between the neck & the body's pocket edges. If you can fit a credit card into that gap, re-consider your purchase (doubt there are any more of such horrible QC today but do keep this in mind).

Removing it was rather easy but fitting it back was a challenge. The most sensible way to overcome this setback was to knock the neck into place with a hammer or mallet but the low-tech way of doing it is to apply powder at the neck edges, which I did. Elementary Science would tell us this reduces friction so it helped solve the problem.

5 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

use eskulin disney's edition talc powder only :) hehehe...

btw, good info

Anonymous said...

hey sub wont it make it easier for the neck to shift in the future also? sorry if its a stupid question, my science is quite fail lol

subversion.sg said...

A good pocket fit + secure bolt-on will make sure the neck stays put, the powder there acted like a lubricant to ease the fitting, nothing else :-)

Anonymous said...

ah ic ok thx for the info...dun think i'll ever dislocate the neck myself though lol :)

subversion.sg said...

i tend to tinker with my guitars, he he :-)