Sunday, October 9, 2011

Upgrade?

I overheard this conversation at a guitar store a few days ago:

Salesman: Do you want to take a look at our Seymour Duncan pickups?
Customer: No, I'm upgrading to Bare Knuckle.
Salesman: Oh, really? Those are good stuff.
Customer: Ya... I really like them.

I'm not here to champion any brand names- they don't give me stuff for free if I do so (no disrespect to Seymour Duncan/ Bare Knuckle- I own both pickups). I was just wondering if we can really understand this move as an 'upgrade'. So if we switch from one brand name product to another in an 'upgrade' move, it would mean that there is a superiority factor in consideration. What makes a product a class above another? Is it the brand name per se? Price factor? Country of origin maybe? If an individual started off with Bare Knuckle for instance & wish to swap them out for Seymour Duncans- will this be a 'downgrade' or an 'upgrade'?

7 comments:

Anssi Sajama said...

I think when changing pickups, its almost always about tone (unless broken pickups). As tone is subjective, it must be an upgrade always when the changer feels its a positive change. If it turns out that it was not a good move, he _upgrades_ back to the old ones or new ones. If the guitar owner wants to sell his guitar with other pickups than his favourite, then its a downgrade as he wants to spare the better ones. Subjective again what is better.

Just my 0.2$ 

subversion.sg said...

I see this as preference more than an up/downgrade...

Ijau D. Koceng said...

i haven't try other brand other than tesla and guitar stock pickups

naz said...

Sometimes kid says the darnest things...

Bro, where's the continuation of your duncan talk? Looking forward to it...

Anssi Sajama said...

Its about preference, sure, but is it not an upgrade if the tone gets better? As tone is highly subjective, means that the same pickup change will not necessarily be an upgrade to someone else.

YusTech said...

I am upgrading my Jackson guitar.From Seymour Duncan JB to G&B.haha

subversion.sg said...

Due to the subjectivity of 'better', saying it as a sure upgrade is contradictory.