Thursday, October 20, 2011

Machine Head: Unto the Locust

In the 1990s, Machine Head was the saving grace of metal as the world was then drowning in the anti-guitar melodrama & its grunge associations, this band stood firm choosing to peddle sheer heaviness above all else. The band lost this plot along the way as they succumbed to the more popular metalcore (oh gosh, I hate branding music this way) culture but 2007's The Blackening was a firm resurgence of the quartet's heavy beliefs. It got me listening & it got me anticipating this 2011 release. Verdict? The first few numbers here are downright heavy but the later songs resurfaced the out-of-place, diluted, metal which got them ignored by fans of Burn My Eyes, for instance. This is why I've deleted some songs in my MP3 playlist & left the heavy numbers in tact. Not a bad performance by Machine Head but fans like yours truly here, would re-listen to Burn My Eyes & The Blackening just to reinforce the belief that Machine Head could be lethal performers should they be in the right mood. Waiting for their next right mood in the mean time.

No comments: