Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Phat Horizon

Was at BEEZ's today to have the neck pickup of my new ESP Horizon FR-II installed. This is how things are in the pickups cavities- very neat & tidy, even the shielding paint had been applied evenly.

Ditto the controls cavity; everything prim & proper in there. I'm very happy that ESP made a point to have Orange Drop caps in the Horizons- it's a statement of quality. I don't see the point of naming my guitars after girls, I just have stickers pasted on them, strategically, of course.

The Horizon FR-II features a push-push coil split pickup switch.

The current pickups in there:
  • Neck: Duncan Phat Cat
  • Bridge: Duncan JB trembucker
 I have the JB-'59 combo in my ESP Phoenix II so the neck '59 here made way for the Phat Cat. It's now a single coil + humbucker pickup guitar, would it be any lesser than it's previous H-H feature? Definitely not, it's what I want to hear from this guitar & I got want I wanted; a brighter, less boomy tone in the neck pickup position.

Thanks BEEZ, for the splendid job, as always.

PS: Vanessa, if you are reading this, nice meeting you today.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should really learn how to do all these wiring and soldering yourself. It's really quite easy. All the $$$ you spent on mods could have gotten you another few guitars.

subversion.sg said...

i know how to solder, i have a choice- i want Beez to do it. that's why i have given away my soldering iron.

a few more guitars can wait :-)

nability said...

Beez seems do be doing an awesome job with your guitars bro!

How do the Phat Cat p-90s sound?

Anonymous said...

DIY will bring you a greater sense of achievement. Of course, pros like Beez will definitely produce good standard of workmanship. But you missed the opportunity to learn things at a greater technical level. Pick up DIY my bro, you'll realise the thrill it brings.

Of course, when it comes to the LED blink-blink thing that Beez invented, we've got to respect the man. He's amazing.

subversion.sg said...

tried soldering & giving it up for someone else to do it, is a sense of achievement for me. he he... i do minor repairs myself, re-string all my guitars, set them up to different specs... these are my other sense of achievements which em... others are not aware of (maybe) :-)

Anonymous said...

in that case, your guitar addiction may not reach its full potential. hahaha. soldering/wiring/mods is an art, as you have witness how Beez does it.

subversion.sg said...

there's never a potential standard when it comes to addiction :-) some of the things i do are by choice, which others might not fully understand, not paying too much attention to pedals is one of them. so will there be anyone out there who would say i might not realize my full tonal potential? i don't know... he he...

bro nability: this isn't the first phat cat, the other resides in my ibanez RGR321. a comprehensive P-90 tone? i wouldn't say it is but it's fatter than the average single coil. if you want that kind of single coil attack without too much twang, this is the pickup to refer to :-)

reuel said...

hmmm does it hum?? =P

subversion.sg said...

yes- it's single coil so it behaves as such :-)

Wayne said...

I've really got to agree with what sub said about the "addiction" to guitars. It's kinda like how we see things in life, it's really based on our own individual perceptions. What someone might feel is important in terms of "guitar talk" might not be the same to others. I doubt anyone can say "I love guitar more than you because I do this this this.."

And likewise for guitar skills (I mean, there's general guidelines like speed, how clean a person plays, musical theory, technique etc but it's really hard to find THE best guitarist) and probably lots of other things in life.

Hahaha.. I've been a long time reader of your blog! You've provided me with lotsa insight about guitars and stuff. Never really felt the need to comment until today, so.. keep blogging!

Warmest regards,
Wayne

subversion.sg said...

thanks for dropping by my friend :-)

there are other silent followers of this blog who actually e-mailed me their queries & comments instead of having them in the comments section. they are afraid to let loose some newbie opinions & become a laughing stock to others but IMO, we all started out as newbies (myself included, yes?), it's all about learning & sharing so nothing to hold back in terms of comments.