Sunday, June 17, 2012

GRGR010: Back to life

My Ibanez GRGR010 is finally back to life.

This is the culprit- a dead pot. It's also a a push-pull coil split switch, I couldn't even pull it up to activate the split mode, let alone turn the knob at all. The crust you see at the base of the shaft thread is actually extreme corrosion, too extreme to be remedied by contact spray. The freaky thing here is that, it died almost exactly a year after it was installed. Since I take good care of my guitars, how did this happen? Answer: Sweat. I sweat too much while playing guitar, some of the sweat from my picking hand might have dripped under the control knob and into the pot's gap/crevices. Every time I wipe this guitar down after play, those inaccessible area under the knob got over-looked hence the corrosion.

No comments: