Thursday, December 18, 2008

Coated!

Yes, I do install coated strings in some of my guitars. I have the above DR red set...

...in my RG1550. So what's the big deal? Coated strings last longer, they would not corrode till the coating wears off. People are wary of coated strings because these affect feel- not quite. the coating here is minimal, it won't bump your .009 wire much thicker, it's negligible. However, people still feel the difference, some said the coating restrict movements but if one's accustomed to the feel, it's not a hindrance. A friend also told me the coating restricts (pinch) harmonics triggering. I've not encountered this problem thus far; the fact that my gain/drive/distortion is always at overdose levels might be the assurance.

The real setback here would be the cost of these strings; $18 per pack, that could get me 3 packs of D'Addarios...

Also, for us dweebs who grind our strings, the coating over the picked length disappears more rapidly than the bits over at the fretted section.

DR strings are available @ Davis GMC.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey sub! u can get these cheaper in the shop opposite guitar connection. I think is $16.

subversion.sg said...

that's good to know :-) but i'm with Curt Mangan mostly...