Tuesday, December 16, 2008

GHS: Fast Fret

As misleading as it is, GHS' Fast Fret isn't a product to enhance fret longevity; it's a string cleaning/ preserving accessory. One simply applies some via that shaving cream brush-like contraption & one's ready to go.

I did try the FF some time back (like 10 years or so ago...) & couldn't come to terms with the sticky feeling on the finger tips. The wax-like by-product lodged itself into the pores of my rosewood fingerboard as well. I got rid of it before it was used up. I've nothing against the FF in particular but it's something that would not work for me. These days, I'm with any fluid-base cleaning solution. If the FF works for you then, well done...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey man if liquid-based solutions don't work, care to share what you would prefer?

subversion.sg said...

i am currently using liquid-base solution & it works fine. if you think this isn't the way for you, get a set of treated/cryogenic strings, simply do a wipe-down after each play.

too many people out there are trying to fight deterioration, which should NOT be the case. strings are expendables, they have a limited lifespan. it's more objective to prolong feel & tone, if these don't hold along the way, it simply means a fresh set of strings are required.

Anonymous said...

may I know what liquid-based solution you use for the strings? and can u recommend any cleaning solution for my fretboard?

lastly, those metal frets(not sure what it's called but it's those metal stripes) on my fretboard are sort of tarnished. any way to make it regain it's shine?

subversion.sg said...

String cleaning fluid: D'Andrea, alcohol-base, dries up quickly, no residue, effective removal of dirt

Fretboard cleaner: Dunlop 01, make sure you get it with the conditioner, Dunlop 02

Fret polish: Planet Waves Fret Polishing System- 5 sheets of reusable polish paper, this is for light cleaning only. deep tarnish/ rust- you should use very light grade sand paper...

Anonymous said...

where can I get the d'andrea and planet waves cleaning solution?

and do u mind telling me where is guitar77 located? can't find their address on the website

Anonymous said...

A good wipe down to clear off any sweats during and after play is a must for me. My fingers will tell me when i need to change to new sets of strings.

Fitch

subversion.sg said...

D'Andrea + Planet Waves fret polish cloth (it's not a solution) are available @ Yamaha, Plaza Singapura.

G77 address: Click on the G77 icon on the right panel, then click their MySpace link- address is there.