Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Ibanez RGR08LTD: Tone!

Ibanez's RGR08LTD is a great offering by the manufacturer for those of us who wish for a no-frills guitar with lots of high gain/drive potential (active humbucker). However, it's also one of the most nonsensical in terms of electronics.

The guitar features a kill switch & volume knob which make the instrument excessive in terms of volume control. I had plans to remove the kill switch & install a tone control instead but knowing the active nature of the pickups, it would mean more effort scouingt for a suitable pot & capacitor. I decided to keep the kill switch (I don't vary volume with this guitar, it has to be an all out affair so the kill switch is useful after all) & turn the volume knob into a tone control instead by adding a capacitor, so no removals were involved.

Now I have a guitar for my needs, not something which the manufacturer deems acceptable for general application. No offense Ibanez, I still like my RGR08LTD.

No comments: