Thursday, December 25, 2008

Ibanez RX40

I used to own the Ibanez RX40, it's a model not too different from the RG in its outline but with a more sumptuous edge curves of the body; very Strat-like. The neck profile was a rounder C-shape as opposed to the flatter D-outline of the Wizard units. The headstock was also not angled.

Why did I buy this guitar? I saw Andy Timmons played one, but that was his AT100 model & I thought it looked very Strat-like but still 100% Ibanez. The RX40 was of course, a very different guitar...

So what was the lesson learned? It didn't make me play like Andy Timmons (even after I had a DiMarzio humbucker in there). Never buy an instrument because one's idol plays one, it only fulfills the hero association factor but has very little in store in terms of personal fulfillments (for the record, I don't own any signature model guitar, ok maybe the Gibson Les Paul...).

The RX series were discontinued in 1998, it trickled into the GIO series as the GRX40.

1 comment:

Bomber said...

Hi. how did the rx40 sound after the pickup change?did y change the pots also?

maybe i should buy a new ibanez guitar