Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ibanez GIO series: Which one to buy?




From time to time, acquaintances ask me which is a good Ibanez GIO model to own (they want to get something affordable for their kids/ they want to own a good back-up unit). My immediate reply to this query would be to abstain from buying them, save a little more & get something more rewarding in terms of QC (my primary consideration when buying entry level guitars) & tone. Please don't ge tme wrong; I'm not being dismissive of the GIO series (I used to own one) but reputable entry level units are very affordable these days, it's prudent to invest in something respectable than make do with compromises.

However, I do have the above 3 GIO models to recommend if you insist on owning one. I had better results with the non-vibrato bridge models as Ibanez equip their GIO series with the dreaded ILT1 bridge when it comes to locking vibrato bridges. The above 3 recommendations also displayed consistent QC, especially the GRG121, (whose default pickups are very acceptable when it comes to high gain/drive applications) when I played them.

If you insist on owning a vibrato bridge GIO model, the GXR370 is a good model to own attributable to its design ergonomics as well as the reputable Edge 3 bridge it is equipped with. Do not expect stellar performances from the default pickups.

PS:
  • the GAx70/ GSZ120 are discont'd but still available in the shops
  • I have tried more than 1 guitar of each model to keep track of QC standards

2 comments:

Elvyn said...

Thanks for the review, it was helpful in helping me decide which guitar to get. I've decided to get the GRG 121 with the VOX Amplug AC30 :D

subversion.sg said...

that's good to know, hope you like what you get :-)