Monday, March 22, 2010

Favourite album (Part 1): Truth in Shredding

I do not have a particular favourite release, but Truth in Shredding is definitely one I keep listening to. I didn't know this existed, borrowed the original pressing from an ex-colleague when I was still working in a hydrographic office at World Trade Centre in the early 1990s- yes, it's still known as 'World Trade Centre' back then.

This album featured 2 very distinguished guitarists. One was this 'Thunder From Down Under' but we know him as Frank Gambale, the sweep picking sage.

The other fretboard deity was Allan Holdsworth, whose command of the instrument would leave you feeling extremely unaccomplished if you think you are proud of your attainments in the mean time.

I wouldn't have thought two people, both masters of their respective trades, would have done superbly in the same recording. There was no competition, both players were there to complement each other & the listener would be thoroughly impressed whenever one of them stepped up to showcase their ideas. The most prominent highlight of this release was its lack of memorable flash; there wasn't any one moment which outshone the rest. I thoroughly enjoyed this release & it serves as a reality check; every time I feel I am on top of the world with my playing, then I would listen to this & it would keep my reservations in check.

No comments: