Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Flasback '90s: Michael Lee Firkins

 
 I recently bought the CD version of Michael Lee Firkins' debut (self-titled) release. I had the cassette tape version of it bought way back during my secondary school days- where skipping recess & saving money was the usual practice for guitar dweebs like me.

Anyway, MLF's signature technique was unmistakable; he would utilize the guitar's whammy bridge & simple finger slides to create a pseudo slide tone but no slide implements of any kind was used. He was also one of the very few Yamaha Pacifica players at that time (the other Pacifica champion was Firehouse's Bill Leverty) to alleviate one's technical capacity beyond the product brand name. While the rest of planet shred inhabitants were busy sporting skinny-necked Ibanez guitars, Mr. Firkins stood firm with his Yamaha. I realized that some of the lick ideas I am playing now are derivatives of MLF's tunes. I had subconsciously recreated his phrasings to suit my ability- which is a far cry from Mr. Firkins', of course.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this album.
I still remember when Micheal came over to Singapore (Yamaha Plaza Sing)years ago for a clinic.
Were u there, Sub?
He had a unique setup...no pedals but guitar direct to amp (Marshall stack)... with some preamp I think. When he used the bridge pickup, his guitar sounded full of distortion but when he flipped to neck pickup, it became totally clean.
One of the most memorable guitar clinic. The last I heard of his playing was on Jason becker - Perspective album

subversion.sg said...

no i wasn't there- some family engagements, i could still remember. back then, Beez was still with Yamaha & he was telling me about it when i met him some days later.

the amp + guitar only set up is the most righteous & should be the benchmark for great tone.