Thursday, March 11, 2010

Phoenix's Duncans

The default Duncan pickups in the Phoenix II are the JB/ '59 pair. We know the JB to be a menacing pickup in the midrange offering, while the '59 is renowned for its vintage sweetness. These pickups remain as such but in their covered form, there is this compressed treble voicing which I like especially with lots of drive/ distortion in the mix. I dislike the uncovered '59, I used to have it in 2 guitars, in the neck position. Then the Lil '59 came by in my Ibanez RG560 & that was a very likable pickup in the neck position. I have not found a deserving alternative until I hear this covered '59 in the Phoenix.

6 comments:

John said...

Bro if you dont mind, will you tell me the price of ur ESP?

subversion.sg said...

the Phoenix is $1,950 (hard case included).

reuel said...

hey sub. does the lil' 59 sound more like a single coil or a humbucker? considering its almost like a rail pickup. mind the noob question, thanks :)

subversion.sg said...

the Lil '59 is not a rail-type pickup, you might have seen the Hot Rails instead :-) look for my RG560 pic here in this blog & you'll see my white Lil '59 pickup in the neck position.

all single-coil sized humbuckers are humbuckers, there's nothing single coil, tone-wise, about them UNLESS they are wired to split- then you'll hear the individual coils in action.

reuel said...

hmmm then are stacked single coils like the dimarzio areas and SD classic stacks also considered single coil sized humbuckers?

subversion.sg said...

stacked humbuckers are functionally humbuckers because they eliminate hums. but that's what the second coil does- hum elimination, it doesn't contribute to tone.