Sunday, September 26, 2010

Feline chorus

So I bought a new pedal to supplement my acoustic tone, coincidentally, it sports the same colour as the guitar.

The pedal in question is the Cool Cat (Danelectro) Chorus, a simple supplement for a simple need. Before the final selection, I had the following pedals on my consideration list:
  • Beta Aivin CE-100: Chorus Ensemble
  • Electro Harmonix: NANO Clone
  • Joyo: Classic Chorus
My requirements for a chorus unit are rather fundamental as well; not overwhelming + adequate features control. The NANO Clone is a 1-knob affair, I was looking out for its tone above all else. There was no way to access the effects oscillation speed so it was struck off the list- I am rather annoyed by the higher levels of oscillation as it makes the effect sound too psychedelic. The Joyo has a healthy sweep in both its rate & width controls but it tends to over-power the overall output as it lacks a LEVEL feature once activated- no go for this one as well. The CE-100 has the most number of features on board & would easily appease the player in search of details but in my case, the overall output wasn't rich enough. My idea of a chorus is a rich sounding voice; a tingling effect so to speak, which is the best pairing for an already favourable clean tone- this, the CE-100 does not possess. It isn't a dud pedal, mind you, it will give you a thick, fat chorus if you are in search of such an offering.

So my final pick was the Cool Cat for its rich sounding chorus & blend feature which I deem to be crucial because it determines how much chorus should be in the signal & hence the ability to offer the user a mild or rich register, depending on the need. All for a good $36.00.

Thanks Janet @ Davis GMC for the excessive try-out.

7 comments:

thraxil said...

I don't have that specific one (I play through an ADA MP-1 which has its own good chorus), but I own a number of other Dano Cool Cat pedals and I've been very impressed with each of them. True-bypass, solid metal construction and generally good tone for very reasonable prices. Kind of wish the knobs were a little more accessible sometime.

Ijau D. Koceng said...

we don't the luxury of "testing all pedals before buying which one" here... lucky for u

Ijau D. Koceng said...

edited: we don't HAVE the luxury...

subversion.sg said...

sometimes the pedals i wish to check out aren't available *sigh*

i've been getting great results with the Cool Cat pedals all along, the reason i don't own many of them- i'm not a pedal person :-)

Ijau D. Koceng said...

have u ever tried the FAB version?

subversion.sg said...

yes bro- that one was dodgy + it's not as versatile as this version; it doesn't possess an EQ control. the cool cat version allows the user to dial in a sharp/ warm tone for various applications eg: sharpness for solo clarity/ warm chorus for chord work/ jazzy melodies.

Ijau D. Koceng said...

got my very own "blue" cat yesterday :)