Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Schecter: Damien Elite-8


This is perhaps one of the most affordable 8-string model in the market ($820 @ Davis) & a well-constructed one indeed (from Korea's WMI factory, the same facility churning out PRS' SE models in the mean time & some of Ibanez's Prestige makes when they were still made there, the high QC is evident across brand names- thumbs up!!). The EMG 808 'buckers in there are deserving pickups for the money but I'm not quite an EMG fan (in the mean time). I only like them in my ESP Eclipse II, they have failed to entice me in other guitars.

This might be a little trifling for some of us but the Schecter 8-string models sport a 26.5" scale length, a little shorter compared to the Ibanez offering- 27". Despite this small difference, as the 8-string in general involves much bulk & excessive materials in every way, it affects playability. The Schecter needed lesser efforts to play as opposed to my Ibanez RG2228, the only consideration preventing me from getting it as I tested it out yesterday, was the EMG. I've asked Janet to consider bringing in the Blackjack version as that one features a pair of active Duncans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are EMGs abit harsh sounding to your liking?

Fitch

subversion.sg said...

i'm perfectly OK with Duncan's blackouts but the EMGs are acquired taste for me... it's also quite attributable to the fact that i'm not active-inclined.