Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The first (Part 10)

Sepultura's Beneath the Remains was my first death metal album. Prior to this experience, that gargling vocals remained repulsive & added nothing to the music. This release was an educational experience; the guitars here were technical enough to dislodge my belief that Metallica's guitar works were an end-all encounter, there are other reputable players out there who don't tread the thrash metal path. The real surprise, guitar-wise that is, came much later when it was made known that Max Cavelera actually had four functional strings in his guitar & those bare essentials carried him through a great album. At this point in time, I was still a fledgling electric guitar player so this discovery humbled me- I have two more strings than Max but couldn't churn out a respectable riff to save myself. Andreas Kisser remains to be the tasteful lead guitarist to date; one who carefully selects his notes to complement the song & not merely doing finger gymnastics for the sake of adding technical highlight. BTR pretty much triggered my exploration of other bands of this genre, the following are among my preferred discoveries (too many to list):

Entomebd/ Kreator/ Carcass/ Dismember/ Sodom/ Suffocation/ Cynic/ Nocturnus/ Deicide/ Morbid Angel/ Coroner/ Pestillence/ Master/ Monstrosity/ Death...

4 comments:

JAIRO said...

best sepultura album ever!!!\m/

subversion.sg said...

+1 bro... definitely my personal fav.

Anonymous said...

To me btr is the precursor to my fav, arise. Not many personal favs in btr, probably cuz sepultura just discovered melodic riffs. Arise is probably a refinement of that before chaos ad. After that they went too tribal-ish to my taste. Carcass' "exhume to consume" blew me away with their heavy lows and yeah i prefer bill steer's deepthroat vox. Also unforgettable is "corporal jigsore quandary" with rapid precise drum blasts. Btw i tink their "no love lost" is kinda challenging to play. Ah deicide's "sacrificial suicide" who can forget that.

subversion.sg said...

BTR is the most likable album to me, the rest of the releases do not possess a balanced content despite having some killer songs in there.

Carcass- their Swansong release is my fav. every other metal head would embrace Heartwork but i guess i'm the estranged fan here...