Sunday, September 12, 2010

The other scoop

I was flipping the pages of an old magazine when I stumbled upon this guitar- it's the Alvarez electric, featuring the dana scoop. It's essentially the manufacturer's take on upper fret access, merging the guitar's treble side cutaway with the neck pickup's slot. The obvious compromise here would be the neck pickup & the overall instrument's rigidity. For those of us who keep whining about not having real upper fret access, this guitar might just work for you but it's extinct...

Despite the backing of Lita Ford- rock's femme fatale of the '90s- this guitar didn't live to see the turn of the century.

5 comments:

ashley said...

the shape reminds me of Hercules Beetle...

Ijau D. Koceng said...

looks fragile...

subversion.sg said...

that's my immediate impression of it- that missing chunk there could prove crucial to durability.

Marcus said...

i had my hands on one years ago . it was red , don't remember seeing it anywhere else in sg.

Anonymous said...

I bought a new Dana scoop w/ graphite neck in '93 and it has been a work horse. Easiest to play machine ever. I have strats and Les Pauls and they all have cracks in the finish at the neck joint. The scoop, although it looks fragile, has been played and hauled around for all these years and no cracks in the finish at neck joint. It plays and sounds like a million bucks!