Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mr. Finn...

I was listening to Guthrie Govan last weekend & thought that some of his phrasings sounded familiar- now where have I heard those before? When I re-listened to Jon Finn's (pic above) Don't Look So Serious album, then I heard those familiar tunes in action; so that was the answer.

Did Guthrie Govan, by any chance, lifted Mr. Finn's music & made it his own? Definitely not, but this experience taught me the fact that great players draw inspiration from one another, it's part of their personal explorations & self-education. I subconsciously re-used some of Hendrix/ Lynch/ Vai/ Moore's ideas, among others. There are some things that worked which we wouldn't want to change but there's this morality in ourselves to not re-hash original materials & call it our own.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Sunday (7 Aug): New guitar... :-)

3 comments:

naz said...

Another order???

subversion.sg said...

no bro- refer to the latest post :-)

cm_17 said...

Finn and Govan know each other - saw them play live here in Boston together, and they had a lot of fun on stage.