Friday, December 14, 2012

Ibanez: VJ50 (fretboard treatment)

This is unacceptable by my standards; absolutely unattended fretboard with lots of gunk, fungal infection & that white residue there- I suspect it's dry polish cream (to polish the frets). 

This is how my Ibanez VJ50 looks like after treatment:
  1. Strings were replaced
  2. The first thing I did to the fretboard was to clean it. I used an alcohol-based fretboard cleaner because alcohol dissolves dirt very effectively. Alcohol is also a fantastic dislodging unit so for those stubborn dirt there, they were dislodged. Alcohol dries up easily- this is a very important consideration for me so no residue lingers at the applied area.
  3. However, alcohol dries your porous fretboard so the next thing to do, naturally, was to recondition the fretboard. I was patient with this as the fretboard was evidently very dry, some areas at the lower frets showed signs of flaking off.

3 comments:

LG said...

Phwoar!!!!

stan said...

Hi sir, any tips on cleaning ebony fretboards?

subversion.sg said...

hi bro :-) alcohol almost always work in lifting dirt off any surface, ebony included. subsequently, you need to note if the wood surface requires re-moisturizing.