Friday, December 7, 2012

Tesla: P-90 humbucker

If you think I'm trying to pull a fast one on you by saying those pickups in my Yamaha RGX-A2 are Tesla humbuckers but they actually aren't- here's a closer look at the Tesla label on the pickup cover. These are actually prototypes, not in standard production yet but Mike (SV Guitars) were given a complementary set so I have to (strongly) convince him to sell them to me because I need them. He he... This is the reason why you can't see them at the official Tesla homepage.

DiMarzio has the DLX series pickups for the job but I'm not too keen on them (I've heard them in action in one of my LPs before like more than a decade ago, that was before my cat died) because I know they won't appeal to me in terms of tone; I prefer Tesla's crunch in drive settings. I just wanna give these Tesla a try & they get my thumbs up.

3 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

high or medium output?

subversion.sg said...

Medium- I need good cleans for this guitar as well so high output not on my agenda :-)

faiz said...

so much less option for soapbar humbucker pickup rather than buy diMarzio. Hoping Tesla update for this one, coz I prefer less 60 cycle hum and another one is humbucker can bring the sound to heavy shred style..... (although less shred note can be played but who cares?). Until now only 2 manufacture can be located soapbar humbucker. Still waiting another soapbar humbucker model in most of pickup brand instead of single coil p90.........