Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012: Hit s & misses (1)

As we flip the final pages of 2012, some of us are tempted to back-track & refresh those highs for the year. We would also like to give the rancid encounters a last look to remind ourselves that everything isn't that sweet as we went along. Here's my edition of 2012's hits-&-misses, strictly personal, of course. Feel free to disagree.

Hit- The new Marshall DSL series. Re-vamped interpretation of the manufacturer's defunct JCM2000 DSL series only this time, with a more snarling drive section & then that spanking clean. This isn't an instant hit of course, it's made in Vietnam but that speaks very little of the actual performance on offer. A re-booted stellar performer for lesser asking price- why the heck not?

Miss- Commander Vai is someone I look up to regardless of his artistic directions. His phrasing & arrangements are simply sublime, so when a release like this comes my way, I takes a little more reach into my deeper understanding to accept what took place. There isn't any sublime messages on board, but a different manifestation of Commander Vai's music which is off tangent to my preference. A respectable release but not for me.

No comments: