Friday, December 17, 2010

Fender... oops?

Just hours ago, my friend, Rosli, was at my residence. He was here for me to try & figure out why his high E string kept popping out of the retainer every time he whammies his bridge. This happened even after the nut of his Floyd Rose equipped Fender Highway 1 Showmaster Strat, was locked tight. He is also baffled by the fact the bridge itself suffers from over-projection every time he tried to tune his guitar.

After a closer look, the string-popping mystery was an easy problem to deal with; Fender actually equipped the guitar with a retainer of the wrong length as depicted above (A). I compared it to the spare I bought for my Ibanez RG guitar (B) & the difference was rather obvious. Easy solution for an easy problem.

Moving on to the bridge over-projection issue, I tuned the guitar accordingly & indeed saw the anomaly myself. So I thought a quick tightening of the whammy spring screws at the rear body cavity would do the trick but even after doing so, the problem persisted. This was when I decided to feel the strings & that's the cause of it all- the strings in there were a set of .010s. So the quick string replacement (the guitar now has a set of Fender .009s in it) & corrective tuning took place. Rosli wanted a slightly higher action to rid the guitar of that shred-action buzzing & he got his wish. But while at it, the rosewood fretboard got re-moisturized as well; the upper fret vicinity was rather dry. I expected it to be so because this guitar could be in storage for years; the reason it looks untouched & in splendid physical condition. 

I simply like how the guitar's default humbuckers reacted to high distortion settings; it's rather obvious they were conceived to rock. The instrument's build is also solid & blemish-free; how that wrong retainer bar got through was quite a mystery.

4 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

luckily newer RG models don't have string retainer :)

ashley said...

what is - bridge over-projection?

Anonymous said...

if he wants to go back to gauge .10, he can add more springs to counter the tension.

subversion.sg said...

yup, the retainer there was for my RG560, that 19-year-old guitar of mine :-)

bridge over projection occurs when in standard tuning, it doesn't sit parallel to the body, instead it sports a >45 degree angle.

the guitar, with the gauge .010 strings was tuned below standard tuning; the reason why it didn't manifest the bridge over-projection upon purchase.