Sunday, December 5, 2010

Marshall 1960A: Tone test 1

The first guitar to be plugged into my new Marshall 1960A is my Ibanez SZR520. I've chosen this one in view of its original pickups on board. A good amp/ cab should manifest good guitar tones regardless of the instrument's pickups, then again, there are some amps which aren't transparent enough to let your tone through, the 1960A possesses this characteristic.

Before we dismiss the 1960A to be Marshall-biased, do note that the Celestion G12s on board are some of the most proverbial drivers for distortion, regardless of the brand name cab they reside in. They do sound attractive in clean mode but they aren't as defined as the V30 for instance. With this in mind we know why the Sound Drive SG-612R & Randall RT/RC amps (among others) sound superb with their on-board distortion activated; these amps feature the G12s to help propel distortion. As such, my JVM's 3 distortion channels sound very commanding but the real surprise comes with the clean settings. The G12 gives me a less pointed top end so the overall clean tones are warmer & less intrusive. Of course, no Fender-esque chimes to be heard here.

My Ibanez SZR520 features a pair of very high output humbuckers but the cleans heard through the 1960A are glassy enough to invite some jazz-type chord works. Since I am a distortion fan first & foremost, the 1960A is a winner with me in this aspect; no regrets whatsoever. I didn't get sick & tired of the (Celestion) Seventy 80 drivers in my CRATE the last time round but those drivers serve another purpose while I have distortion as priority. It's money well spent; certainly one of my most fulfilling purchase this 2010.

Thanks to the good people of Davis GMC who went ahead with the item delivery despite the downpour- thumbs up to you guys!

No comments: