Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Ibanez: SA1260... the deviation

It's another pickups overhaul, this time my Ibanez SA1260 received some significant make-over. The default pickups were retired for good & as you can see here, the cavities are some of the neatest the manufacturer has to offer.

No whammy applications with this guitar so 5-springs in there, as usual.

The reason why this post is tagged as a 'deviation' is evident in the pic above; I chose to have a Mallory capacitor instead of the usual Orange Drop routine. I was doing some spring cleaning for the last few days or so & discovered I had a Mallory stashed away in one of my guitar bags. The numeric on it had faded & I thought it should be used as soon as possible before some further deterioration takes place. I also had the volume & tone pots replaced; despite the guitar being very new, the pots were stiff. All these done at BEEZ's.

Finally, a fresh set of GHS .009s in the guitar & my preferred action set up. Played this guitar after watching CSI last night for quite some time. The other reason why this is a 'deviation'- DiMarzio pickups in here. Despite being a hardcore Seymour Duncan fan, I digress occasionally as a check of sorts; I don't mind having other brand name pickups in some of my guitars as a tonal reference. The newbies here are:
  • Neck: DiMarzio Area '67
  • Middle: DiMarzio Area '67
  • Bridge: DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any good things about the Area 67? Suppose to replicate the single coil sound of that era...

LG

reuel said...

hey sub, how are the classic stacks compared to the area 67s??

subversion.sg said...

the '67 possesses the typical DiMarzio smoothness under intense processing which is a good thing especially if you do fast legato. the single coil twang is present but not as pronounced as a Duncan single coil. there's a 'polite' factor here which you'd appreciate if you want a single coil character which isn't overpowering.