Sunday, December 19, 2010

Brian Moore i91: TESLA!

Alright! This is the best time to get hold of 'em TESLA pickups since they are going for 15% discount (@ SV Guitars) & I've decided to have them in my Brian Moore i91. After the default pickups were removed, I was rather surprised the cavities interior was lacquered; it's one of the most presentable finish I've come across. Thumbs up to this!

It's the usual works for me, tone-wise; off to Beez's for an Orange Drop installation...

... & a push-pull coil split switch to complete the ritual.

The fretboard received a re-conditioning. The upper fret areas were dry but the rest of the piece was OK.

Finally, a fresh set of GHS .009 set for the i91. The TESLA pickups in this guitar are:
  • Bridge: Nitro
  • Middle: VR-1
  • Neck: Plasma III

8 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

can't get my eyes off the finish (green that is) :)

subversion.sg said...

he he... there were only 2 colours available bro, this green & the other was something in the likes of a sunburst so i chose this one :-)

Anonymous said...

dear subversion...can the tesla vr 1 handle high gain well in a strat?

subversion.sg said...

the VR-1 handles lots of drive (in my i91) very well, it gives off a very PAF-ish response but in a single coil interpretation. meaning: not as spongy as a humbucker of vintage specs, more top end in this case but i don't hear a pronounced twang.

Anonymous said...

possible to do a review of the vr-nitro and compare it with the vr-extreme? i have the vr-nitro bridge and i personally find it to sound clear and meaty. wondering how does it compare with the vr-extreme..

subversion.sg said...

will do so in due time :-)

Ijau D. Koceng said...

btw bro, i'm planning to upgrade my RG350M with sets of teslas soon

any recommendations other than ur HSH nitro/VR-1/plasma-3 config? versatile as possible

subversion.sg said...

it's difficult to have a versatile combo without compromising on some grounds. but for the bridge, the Nitro does it for me this time round for its high output but good cleaning up with volume play. the VR Extreme does it as well in this position but it's not as volume friendly. i also like the Nitro's midrange performance.

for the neck, i like to keep my tone warm when distorted- the Plasma 3 has that but i'm gonna check out the OPUS-1 next time.

single coil wise, my experience with TESLA is that their offerings don't give an all-out twang which is a good thing for me. the VR-1 is still my preferred TESLA single coil in terms of clarity & distortion application.