Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Dealing with pigs (Bare Knuckle content)

Someone said I am rather excessive when it comes to Seymour Duncan & Tesla pickups ignoring the rest out there. This, surely, isn't the case. I may have my preferences but I'm not one to ignore a good product per se, regardless of the brand name.

The Warpigs you see above (in my Ibanez SZ520) are great pickups in this light. They were conceived to supplement the players' distortion excess but the neck model can be made to manifest some of the smoothest drive tones. This pickup isn't too different from Duncan's Invader & DiMarzio's X2N models in terms of output & EQ but the good people at Bare Knuckle did their bit to make the pig hold its own tone. I hear the pickup being more responsive to (the guitar's) volume play. If your tone knob is up to it, you can easily sculpt the pig to produce some prickly top end or trim them down to generate usable warmth, even distortion extremists like me can live with this. It's definitely the go-to pickup if you chug your bass notes. All in all the pig does well for both straight through & effects-laden applications. 

On a personal note, I hear a very DiMarzio-ish response from the Bare Knuckles I've come across. The difference here is that the BKs don't muck-up at higher volume settings or sound too polished for that matter; great presence all round.

2 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

i hope that 'someone' wasn't me :)

subversion.sg said...

Definitely not you, bro :-)