Monday, December 5, 2011

Swing: SS1 (Part 1)

This is Swing's SS1, a very affordable model available at SV Guitars for a measly $190. It's one of the newbies from Indonesia which  underscores affordability, quality & tone. A guitar like this is important to me, not because it adds to quantity in my possession but it speaks volumes about being relatively unknown yet exceeding expectations. Many of us are constantly looking for a worthy buy in terms of every dollar spent relative to product satisfaction- this is the deserving candidate. A splendid consideration for those of us looking for a dependable back-up as well, especially at this time of the year, with that windfall of yours, he, he... A great X-mas gift? You bet.

I very nearly didn't buy this model, in fact, I was attracted to another one of its siblings but the neck profile just won me over. It's not the typical rounded-C of a Strat, it's shallower in depth hence giving off a psuedo flat feel which is perfect for speed. The default pickups are budget in-house units which I was very well aware of when trying it at the store. But that interaction with distortion was there & I prioritize this chemistry above sparkling cleans- I spend only about 10% of my playing time doing cleans, I'm simply not that kind of resident, I tread the drive turf, everything else is a byproduct of boredom.

To be continued...

6 comments:

Ijau D. Koceng said...

does swing related to smash?

subversion.sg said...

yes they are, SMASH is the sister brand of SWING (like Squier to Fender).

ML said...

There is also a SMASH version of SS1...wonder if they are the same. Is the SWING SS1 also made of Indo Mahogany?

http://www.swingguitars.com/English/product/smash/elec/ss1.html

ML said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ijau D. Koceng said...

does it available in maple frets?

subversion.sg said...

no bro, just rosewood in the mean time. maple fretboard + SSS config, then it would be the S2...